Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Lent: Coming Distractions

It has been called to my attention that Lent begins tomorrow. Largely by the proliferation of Mardi Gras/ Shrove Tuesday posts on Facebook. I have cheerfully fallen in with this fact, as it means that today I am honor-bound to make fastnachts--a squarish doughnut whose preparation on this day is traditional for those of us of German descent. So. Fastnachts today, Lent tomorrow. Indulgence, then guilt.

Lent has always seemed to me to be peculiarly Roman Catholic. Perhaps it's the penitence thing, the guilt, the giving up of anything that gives pleasure, be it candy or ice cream or movies or TV, or (God forbid) the internet or social media. I sort of grew up with the mindset (inculcated by the good sisters who taught me) that if it was easy or fun, it must be bad for you and pursuing whatever it was would be damaging in the long run and would garner you no merit in the kingdom of heaven. That explains a lot about my life, I imagine--most notably, why I majored in chemistry rather than English.

But, here I am, on the verge of another Lenten season, unprepared to 'give up' anything for Lent, yet beset by guilt for not doing so. Facebook, however (who saves me in a variety of ways) has provided --through the good offices of my friends--some suggestions of positive things to do in order to live a holier Lenten life: a list of forty actions to be taken, and (in my case, since it all comes down to writing) to be explored and written about--one for each day.

So..tomorrow: Love your enemies (at least for the day..)

No comments: