Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Action 7: Give 5 items of clothing to Goodwill.

It's not just the clothes that this is about. It's letting go. I have things in my closet that I have never worn outside the dressing room where I tried them on. I have items in my china cabinet that have not seen the light of day--or night--for over twenty years, in spite of multiple moves (four, I think) in that period of time. Whether it be dresses or jackets or crystal or china, I have a hard time letting go.

There are times that this can be a virtue. I keep in touch with people longer than many people I know, sending birthday and Christmas cards, following on Facebook..(I'm not too good at picking up the phone, I'll admit.) I keep photos, I remember people, places and things, but when it comes down to getting rid of stuff, there is always the cautionary "I might need that someday" or "I paid so much for that--it's a shame.."

So here's the test: five things, five clothing items. And I am upping the ante here: they can't be the old stained or faded t-shirts that I dispose of at the end of each season. It might be the impractical shoes, or the jacket that just doesn't meld with the rest of my things (and yes, I've bought those..) It might be the sparkly dress I bought for a formal event or the one that would have looked so good on me, had I not acknowledged the twenty pounds that have altered my style somewhat. Whatever. Five meaningful items that I have clung to for far too long.

And while I am at it, maybe I should divest myself of a few other things: a bad habit or two, a few vices that I've been unable to give up for Lent (or for any other reason), an attitude or three that aren't that becoming anymore--if they ever were. Maybe I can dispense with the trendy points of view that I've become comfortable with, and shop around for replacements. Or make room for even better things that only God knows I need.

I think I can find my way to Goodwill, and perhaps even the dump.

[Action 8: No bitching day.]

No comments: