Saturday, March 8, 2014

Action 4--Give $20 to a non-profit of your choosing.

And here we are: just after I conclude that these actions are designed to make me look inward...presto! Here is one to make me look outside myself.....maybe. There are a zillion non-profits out there, so you DO have to look inside to see which you think is truly important. However, picking one cause to donate to involves a lot of weeding out. I am inclined toward local organizations because it seems to me that 'grass roots' is where the work gets done and the benefits are realized.

Our church has a 'family-to-family' program that is supported through various means--most recently, the silent auction at our congregational dinner. If I have it right, we set aside a small chunk of money each week that is distributed via social workers who call in to ask for help for individuals in dire need. Sometimes that money pays an electric bill, sometimes it buys shoes, or a meal--it HELPS in whatever way is most needed at the moment. No salaries are paid, no administrative costs, no bureaucracy--just help. Sad to say, that money disappears in minutes after its release each week. Someone once said to me, "Wouldn't it be nice to have enough money to have it last all day?" Yes, it would. Or all week.

So, on the better-person meter, where does today leave me? $20 poorer, but come on. One $20 bill doesn't make much difference to most of us, but if it can feed a family dinner, or keep the lights on, or the heat going, it's money well-spent.

Looking out in this way raises awareness of how fortunate I am in having all that I need, and more. I am fortunate that my family is provided for, that there's food on the table and warmth in our house, and books and clothing and transportation and safety for us all.

That's what today's action is really about: I have enough to spare. So do it.


No comments: