Thursday, April 4, 2013

Poetry Month: April 4: Found Haiku


If you are a Facebook friend, you may have seen the link I shared to New York Times haikus (brought to my attention by my dear friend, Sharon...) I was struck by the idea of FINDING haikus in unexpected places, and so I thought I'd put it to the test. I picked up the nearest magazine on my coffee table--which happened to be Smithsonian Associates--and started leafing through it, looking for potential haiku material. Eureka! With much serious counting of syllables and some (slight) changes in vocabulary, here are four that I came up with, in the space of about 20 minutes. Not exactly perfectly polished gems (see Natasha) but creditable...


Success in Science (from a lecture description, Letters to a Young Scientist, by Edward O.Wilson)

It doesn’t depend
on mathematical genius,
but finding new solutions.

Today’s Science (from a Smithsonian advertisement for a conference on June 1st)

The cutting edge of
science and technology:
the future is here.

House of God (description of a class on the creation of a Gothic cathedral)

Chartres, Beauvais, Cologne
the art of the cathedral:
building for their God.

Philosophy of Human Nature (description of a class of same title)

What makes us human?
Thought, feeling, and consciousness?
No easy answers.

No comments: