Monday, November 30, 2009

Observations

It can't be December yet. Did I tear October AND November off the calendar by mistake? I haven't even ordered a tree. Christmas decorations are still in storage, and I have yet to retrieve my cookie recipes from my recipe file. Furthermore, I haven't even asked anyone what they want for Christmas. I haven't cleared my freezer for the influx of a turkey and assorted Christmas goodies. I haven't started making lists--the multitudinous Excel spreadsheets that tell me who is getting/has gotten what and where I need to go to get it and what I need from the grocery to make boiled custard. There is not a single egg or a single box of cream cheese in my refrigerator. No extra flour or sugar. No pounds of butter. No candied fruit. I haven't plotted my shopping routes or figured out when gifts must be in the mail, or, God help me, even THOUGHT about a Christmas letter or cards or stamps...I don't even have my generic hostess gifts assembled and tied up prettily. I don't even have them bought. I am usually more prepared.

I have a precious few gifts ordered online, and there are always the 'don't-count' presents that were purchased and distributed ahead of time because they were needed and couldn't wait to be wrapped and placed under the tree. They are always sort of the 'underwear for Christmas' kind of presents. They may be necessary, and get huge points for utility, but they lack the surprise factor, or, more importantly, the 'just what I always wanted' exclamation point upon opening. Christmas morning should be exciting for both the giver and the one who receives. Right now, the only excitement being generated is in the form of suspense: will I or will I not manage to transform my house, my schedule, my plans into Christmas reality? Tick-tock.

No comments: