Thursday, February 26, 2009

Warming up for Poetry Month

Going into my final year as poet laureate, I am finally understanding that the year (and my poetry activities) seems to travel in a 5 month sine wave, with crests in March/April and October/November. All of a sudden, I find myself with a number of requests for readings, poems, workshops, appearances...and always, talks. And reading. I do enjoy doing it all, but the periodic nature of the requests makes it hard to plan.

Coming up on the horizon is Literacy Day at Hammond Middle School, quickly followed by the Hollin Hall Senior Center, and then the Alexandria Office on Women Awards Banquet. I just finished the Charles Houston Rec Center dedication, and recently received a request from another senior citizen poetry group. I've also been looking at the possibility of introducing Alexandria to New York's Poem-in-your-Pocket Day, to be celebrated in April. Or trying to get local poets to record podcasts for the city's website...Or celebrating Jean Elliot's poetry at the Old Presbyterian Meeting House sometime during Poetry Month. So many possibilities, so little time...

No comments: