Monday, January 19, 2009

Scattered

I have the attention span of a gnat. It is one of my greatest (and there are many...) failings. Maybe I have undiagnosed attention deficit disorder. Maybe not. A Personalysis test calls it 'being blue'--meaning that I like to consider all possibilities and look at all sides of a problem or issue. Whatever. I am easily distracted and hard-pressed to follow through on things. It's so much more interesting to flit. I am a grade-A, confirmed, card-carrying flitter, and am always on the lookout for the new and different, rather than the old and tired. I am oh-so-easily bored. Which may explain why I've never had a real career, and why any jobs that I have had incorporated variety as part of the job description. I even had a hard time zeroing in on a college major: sticking with one thing for four years? Boring.

So here I am, finally, with no boring job demanding that I spend eight hours out of every day at some repetitive (at least marginally so) schedule of duties. And with all this freedom, one would think that I would be a veritable hummingbird, sipping at the assorted nectars of all the possible and exceedingly tempting opportunities that I've missed out on through the years. 

Not exactly. I find myself bogged down in the sheer volume of 'could-be's and 'ought-to's that intrude on that recently-acquired  vacuum. As mentioned earlier, I'm not the sort to plow systematically through a list of New Year's resolutions... so, while I will no doubt make lists (I have already), I will also (no doubt) mislay them, or begin the check-off process only to be distracted by some other non-listed activity. Like Facebooking. Or, for that matter, blogging. Sigh.

2 comments:

Kay said...

So that's where I got this tendency to "flit" from. Graduate work seems to only make it worse!

Alexandria Poet said...

As do children...because they are constantly interrupting whatever focus you manage to achieve...but that may not be a bad thing. Look at how entertaining a mom you are!