Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Facebook

I have a Facebook page, and one of the best things about that is that it allows me a tiny window into the lives of friends and acquaintances. I get a hint of who is down, and who is up, of what's going on in the lives of all these people who have been, or still are a part of my life. Instead of a visit, what I see is a sampling of their days; not a big long letter, but a casual aside as they go about living.

Better yet, it makes me feel as if I am still a part of their day. When we meet in person, I feel like I'm up to date on what they're doing and can ask how the recipe turned out, or whether the kids enjoyed their field trip, or whether they are feeling better after a bout with the flu. It's the online equivalent of saying "Hey" in the corridor at work, or bumping into someone in the coffee room.

Of such small encounters, friendships are made and continued. Of such inconsequentialities are lives built.

No comments: