Saturday, June 28, 2008

Mind the gaps...

I seem to have lost not just a weekend, a la Ray Milland, but a full week or so. The truth of the matter is that life has intruded on the internet--or something like that. Inject a little reality--like some unexpected travel, a party to give, and a major automotive breakdown--and the most faithful blogger can fall down on the job. Mea culpa.

My trusty vehicle had just passed the 100,000 mile mark and I was congratulating myself on its stellar performance for lo, these eight years, when it decided to go out with a (literal) bang--in the middle of beltway traffic Monday morning. One minute, I was sailing along at 60 mph--and the next, was coasting on my remaining momentum across two lanes of traffic toward an inglorious stop, trailing a cloud of black smoke and what looked like a river of oil. With the invaluable aid of my cellphone and a AAA rep who was able to determine my location from what meager information I could supply ("Uh, just past an exit somewhere between Route 50 and Andrews Air Force Base ..") we managed to get the car towed back home to Alexandria. I am happy to report that the car has received an engine transplant and is again back on the road, though I wouldn't have expected that happy ending last Monday.

More to come...like, what is this Bathroom Poetry Project I read about in the Post this morning?

No comments: