Tuesday, June 10, 2008

City Council Meeting

For those of you who may have missed tonight's City Council meeting, Councilman Ludwig Gaines kindly presented a proclamation noting my first anniversary as poet laureate, and added more than a few kind words. In addition, Kirk Kincannon and CherylAnne Colton were introduced, and brought with them the beautifully framed calligraphy version of "City of Songs" that will be hung in City Hall.

As I said this evening, the one thing that the proclamation did NOT mention was how much fun I have had this past year, talking about and writing poetry with groups ranging from toddlers to senior citizens. There always seems to be something new on the horizon, and I am constantly gratified by the amount of interest shown in reading and poetry and the arts.

(I would be remiss if I did not note that once again, there was a mascot at the meeting: this time, Tony the Titan, representing T.C.Williams High School for their all-night grad party...)

No comments: