Sunday, September 8, 2019

Jera

Today the sun came up too early; 
I’m out of cereal, 
and cream for my tea. 
My hair is a mess, and 
I can’t find a thing in my closet 
that doesn’t make me look 
frumpy and fat.  
Traffic is terrible, 
and in the endless stop-and-go, 
I mutter and curse 
about the time I’m losing. 
I should stop myself 
with a reminder that  
all my frustrations are 
temporary,  
but today’s not the day for that. 

skim unnoticing  
by the new green  
that decorates the trees,  
the magenta of redbuds 
blooming with abandon,  
and pink and white dogwoods 
in their annual renewal. 
There is no beauty. 
Not today. 

Last night I heard there had been a fire 
on the street where we used to live: 
someone died; a man was rescued. 
The dog and cat, too. 
It was my friend Jera who died, 
and I woke up to that 
this ugly spring morning,
filled with frustration, and anger, and tears. 
I woke up,

but Jera sleeps. 

No comments: