Tuesday, May 7, 2019

What Frightens Me

What Frightens Me

The dark.
My imagination fills a
darkened room with
scary possibilities:
monsters under the bed, a fire,
snakes, accidents, falling,
something I forgot to do--an important lapse,
losing my way, my wallet, my phone,
my health, my mind...
innumerable horrors that
people the dark with dread.

Narrow spaces.
The tunnel, where I am hemmed in,
or construction sites where I am
challenged to stay in lane,
and not crash wildly into tiled walls,
or concrete abutments.
Bridges, where the rails seem so fragile
between me and oblivion.
Escalators, where unheeding
mechanical stairs gnash their teeth,
anticipating a tasty, misplaced foot.


The future.
Or lack thereof.
Politicians and other crackpots
whose ignorant ambitions pave the way
to perdition.
Who pursue their own ends
without regard for environment,
economy, allies, or the well-being
of the people they purport to lead.
Who spit on the motto
E pluribus unum,
turning away the many
at the behest of the few,
splintering our one-ness
into irredeemable selfish shards.

No comments: