Thursday, January 12, 2017

Superwoman is dead: the next episode

Superwoman is dead. I don't think I realized that until the rugs were delivered and JC and I had to wrestle with rug and pad and placement, not to mention moving furniture to make room. Seriously, every day of this (relatively small) move, I have given thanks that we did not wait to make these moves till we were older. They would never have happened. I reiterate: DO IT NOW if you are thinking about downsizing.

I wish I had been documenting this week, but I have been too busy and too tired. Usually we hit town and launch immediately into what needs to be done because we only have a week or two to get things accomplished. We have done the same this time, and I fear that in mid-February, we will stop, look around, and say, "Now what?" In the past two weeks, we have met and scheduled and packed and unpacked and shopped and stored and hauled and (let's not forget) laid rugs and padding, and given our credit cards friction burns from overuse. We have stepped onto the merry-go-round as it hurtled along, full-tilt, and we're still standing. Barely.

It used to be that this was not that difficult or that exhausting. I remember moves where I faced a family room so full of unloaded boxes that we couldn't step inside the doorway and had to unpack a path to the TV set--using a stepstool to get at the highest boxes. I remember unpacking alone while JC was off on a trip, trying to get everything put away before he got back. And I did it. No more.

BUT...the end is in sight. As always in a move, there are bits of homeless debris here and there that don't belong anywhere. There are things that are in the wrong places and things that cry out for organization. Right now, I'm not listening. It's time for a cup of tea and a cookie, and maybe even a nap.

No comments: