Sunday, November 30, 2014

Dragging out the boxes......

Tomorrow is December 1, and, prompted by the upcoming Scottish Walk (Saturday!!!) and imminent visitors (Thursday!!) and a host of things in between, like the Hoitsma Lecture at the Folger, the first Noonday Noel at the church on Wednesday, the first ever Cookie Walk (requiring several dozen cookies from me) at the church on Saturday, and the annual Christmas Reading on Sunday (requiring poems and cookies and punch, oh, my!), my dance card is pretty full.

And so, we decided to put up the tree and decorate for Christmas. Of course we did.

I love dragging out the Christmas boxes and bags--well, not the 'dragging out' part, as that usually merits me an aching back and several cracks on the head from the low-ceilinged storage space under our stairs. But sifting through all the holiday stuff and figuring out how to put it together this year is fun. And what stuff we have! Boxes of ornaments and artificial greenery, Santas--carved or stuffed, painted or plain, flat or rotund, big or small, grumpy or smiling....Angels of all stripes (even an elephant angel!) and perhaps a reindeer or two. So today, while Thanksgiving's turkey carcass becomes turkey orzo soup (with tarragon), I am sorting and remembering and wishing for little girls to wonder at the Christmas to come and to hang the old ornaments on the low branches and to scurry down to the kitchen for hot chocolate and marshmallows and talk about what cookies to bake this year.

Last year, I began a series of ornament stories, and I plan to continue them--because, Lord knows, I came nowhere near accounting for them all. Something to do in this quiet Christmas season when little girls are in short supply.

No comments: