Saturday, June 28, 2014

Single-handed

Anyone who knows me from Facebook knows that I've recently had the misfortune of falling, not once, but twice in the past week: once, tripping over the hose in my own patio, and, one week later, over my own feet (or the curb) in La Jolla. Not pleasant experiences: the first left me with some nasty bruises and enough pain in my knee that I was driven to google "kneecap pain" to see if it signified anything  serious. But, it was the second fall what did me in. Landing almost identically to the previous effort, I found that this time, my left hand was hurting pretty badly. I went to the doctor. A pile of X-rays later, plus some poking and prodding and "does this hurt? What about this?" And he proclaimed a navicular fracture. Which he promptly enclosed in a cast. Instant immobility for my left hand.

Leaving out the pain and annoyance, I am hereby noting for your enjoyment and edification a partial list of things one CANNOT do with one hand:
1- Open anything. Toothpaste. Jars. Zippered bags. Ziplock anything. My wallet. Anything with buttons, hooks and eyes, or zippers.
2- Close seat belts, snaps, or adjust straps (like the one on my sling)
3- Get dressed (see above on all sorts of fasteners)
4- Put on or pull up socks. Tie shoes.
5- Tear off toilet paper or paper towels from a roll.
6- Open Tylenol bottle, or other containers.
7- Put a bag in an overhead bin on a plane.
8- Hold on--to a railing, an escalator, a handrail on an airport tram--while carrying anything.
9- Make a cup of tea.
10- Wash your hair
11-Lift anything of any substance.
12- Read a paperback without something to hold the left side of the book.
13- Make a bed
14- Wring out a washcloth
15- Fold anything
16- Pack a suitcase

But...much as I enjoy complaining about my klutziness and the prospect of wearing this infernal cast for an as-yet undetermined length of time, and the possibility of surgery, physical therapy, and other undesirable stuff, I can't help playing the "It could be worse"  game. It could have been my right wrist, it could have been BOTH wrists. I could have broken a leg or torn something in my knee or hit my head...I didn't.  Even worse, there are lots of folks whose situations make my puny broken wrist look negligible...Who am I to complain about  inconvenience? I can handle this. Well, maybe not 'handle' ...I'm a bit short of hands lately...

No comments: