Monday, April 28, 2014

Little things mean a lot...

Our kitchen faucet had frozen in place and could not be moved from side to side to rinse the sink without Herculean effort; effort of a magnitude that might wrench the faucet from its moorings altogether and result in a full-scale shower in the kitchen. We finally bought a faucet last week. It has languished on the hearth in the family room for over a week, awaiting installation.

Today a friend (and independent contractor) installed it for us. I have been marveling ever since: it SWINGS from side to side! I don't have to haul on the handle to turn it from cold to hot! The sprayer pulls out! It WORKS!!! I've been making do with the old one for so long that I forgot how faucets are supposed to function. What an epiphany...it has brightened my entire day.

Now this is hardly worth commentary. We all have endured small inconveniences while waiting for the right time or place or bank balance to fix them. Drafty windows, leaky gutters, peeling paint, carpeting that we've grown to hate...Sometimes we have waited until the point at which we are about to sell a house before fixing all the nuisance issues we've lived with, and then, we go all out and wonder why we didn't do it sooner so that we could enjoy the new and improved version.

Consider this, then, to be the voice in the wilderness, shouting "Do it NOW!!!" in your ear. I love my new faucet. I will adore the patio gate that we have contracted for: the one that won't warp or sag, that won't rot, that will be lockable--as opposed to the warped, sagging, rotting one we now have that we fasten shut with bungee straps when we enter or leave. I love my fountain that was repaired last year. I love the patio light that is motion-sensitive and keeps me from fumbling with the lock in the dark. What were we waiting for? A miraculous cure from the appliance gods for all the ailments of our household? An angel with a tool belt? A Billy Sunday revival for inanimate objects? Let me tell you--if it were going to come, it would have happened by now.  I'm moving into the camp of "God helps those who help themselves.."

But for the time being, I'm going to walk into the kitchen and rinse my sink.

1 comment:

Martha Ward said...

A broken faucet and sink really produces great problems, and it can be annoying. It can cause leaks, which in turn results to a dirty kitchen. Anyway, I’m glad to know that you really paid careful attention to the installation of your sink. Thanks for sharing that! All the best to you!

Martha Ward @ Son-Rise Plumbing