Saturday, February 15, 2014

Rain. Snow. Sleet. Freezing rain. Precipitation. I have been preoccupied with weather, particularly where water is concerned. Let me say, up front, that I really don't like winter. "Wet" and "cold" just aren't favored words in my vocabulary. And this year, we have had a lot of both in January and February. Let's not forget wind, either. We've had that, too--to sub-zero effect. Maybe I have some bear DNA in my genetic mix; hibernation looks pretty good to me right now.

In any case, I am more than a little tired of gray skies and clouds, of the sound of rain on the roof, or the unmistakable 'ping' of ice pellets hitting the windows, or the chug of salt trucks patroling the streets. I'll grant you there's some beauty in tree branches sheathed in sparkling ice, or in having the workaday world muffled by a fluffy snow blanket.

BUT, then there is reality: me, bundled up and looking like the Michelin Man.  I might as well be in a cave, snoring away, rather than engaging in the struggle to keep warm and still plod through my daily paces, encumbered as I am with the down jacket, the enveloping scarf, the wool hat, the fleecy mittens..And day after day, it's more of the same, to the nth power. Piles of snow, a virtual 'house arrest' for all concerned.  Our prime entertainment is watching icicles form on our gutters and measuring snow accumulations on our patio furniture.

So. Our walks are cleared. Our cars are shoveled out. I've seen more of the Olympics than I ever wanted to. Spiced tea, comfort food, hot chocolate are losing their charm. I can't bring myself to watch the news of more icy pileups north, south and west of here.

They are calling for more snow on Tuesday.  Say it isn't so.

No comments: