Monday, September 30, 2013

Looking for My One Per Cent

One part in a hundred, that would be one per cent. Anyone would conclude that that is not much. A local art gallery is devoting an entire exhibition period to that theme, however. Choose and expand upon the concept of one per cent of anything. Now, since this is an art gallery, one would expect it to be a study of the minutiae of the visual world. Were I an artist, I would cut myself a little cardboard window and start looking at things: the heart of a flower, the end of a banana, the pebbled surface of a blackberry. Or, were I a photographic artist, I'd narrow my viewfinder down to locate texture and detail in a larger picture. I am reducing my field of vision.

But I am not that kind of artist. I am a writer and a poet and my work every day is to routinely seek the one per cent-- or even less. I zero in on a single facet of the life I have been given and examine it, hoping to use it to make sense of the rest, the enormous thunderstorm of thought and experience and sense information that rains in on me each day. Studying a single raindrop, I try to see the universe.

No comments: