Friday, March 22, 2013

Backup

This has been a crazy week.

Last Sunday, JC and I flew to Providence to help our daughter Kay with our two grandchildren, while her husband recuperated from a Monday morning surgery. For those of you with no grandchildren, or those of you (do you exist?) whose grandchildren are content to sit and be read to for hours on end, understand that this can be a grueling task. For those of us (newly-retired) who are getting used to sleeping in till 7:30, and perhaps sneaking in a nap at 3, it's not easy to be on your feet all day, chauffeuring, preparing and packing snacks for every outing, playgrounding, entertaining, and feeding kids (what seems to be) every 15 minutes. I know we did it before--I know I even did it on my own!--but this is a young person's game. It takes backup. And with two of us on the job, we could do it--even if we were tired at the end of the day.

Also last Sunday night in Baltimore, my mom, who has been failing, took a steep turn for the worse, dropping into an unconsciousness that she would only partially arouse from when stimulated. I got the call from my sister on Monday. Tuesday morning, with no change in her condition, I flew home--or at least to Baltimore to watch and wait. It doesn't sound hard--to sit and watch and wait, but it's easier if there's someone to talk to at the end of the day. It takes backup.

JC and I have been together for nearly forty years. During that time, we have counted on each other for a multitude of things: financial and emotional support, listening, advice, encouragement, laughter.. There has always been, at the end of whatever day, someone to share things with, even if it might be over the phone. There has always been an "I love you" lingering in my ear as I drift off to sleep. Backup. I'm not sure I have appreciated that enough.

This week, we both faced difficult days, without that backup close at hand. We've both been tired and needed the strength of family and friends to fall back on. That all that strength is there to draw on means so much. But even more than that, I realize, we need each other. Nothing can take the place of my best friend, my co-conspirator, my sounding board, my husband. My backup. I love you, JC.

No comments: