Friday, November 30, 2012

Morning at the Meeting House



Today I am sweeping…
needles and berries and fragments of twigs 
left behind from my work.
Others have hung the roping
of fragrant pine
and set the candles in place.
They have placed the wreaths and ribbons,
wrapped the church entrance
in garlands of green,
positioned the tartan bow
on the lamp post.
Inside I gathered upright juniper
with pliant pine and cedar
into festive bouquets that guard the altar.

And now, alone, I sweep
holiday dust, the molecules of celebration
lost between the floorboards,
extending back for centuries.  
I sweep and trim and smile
as I imagine women have done
since this church began:
we set things right, tweak a bow,
fractionally turn a wreath or vase,
then step back (as we always do)
to see the church and judge it ready--
fresh and clean and candle-bright:
dressed for Christmas.

No comments: