Thursday, July 22, 2010

Eventful

Hard to believe my last post was less than two weeks ago. I feel as if I've been fast-forwarded to the end of the month, with little to show for it in the way of accomplishment. We have emptied boxes and put stuff away, but now we are down to the substantial residue of stuff that needs to be sorted, filed, disposed of, or thought about. These are the boxes of little covered china boxes, or the dozen or so cat sculptures I've brought home from trips, the dozens of planned-but-uncompleted projects that have whiled away the past few years in storage or in the attic. This is the pile of tablecloths, placemats, runners, napkins that speak to my inability to set a table twice with the same napery. Also to my unwillingness to iron napkins. It doesn't help that we have had (still have, in some cases) a variety of tables of various sizes, and thus possess an equal variety of tablecloth sizes and runners in coordinating colors.

And yet, and yet...in spite of our overabundance of stuff, the new house demands more. We have different-sized rooms that need rugs; a room or two that we have no furniture for (or at least not appropriate furniture); we need a toaster because this oven doesn't possess that function. A longer hose, a shorter curtain, a cushion for the windowseat, a paper towel holder, shelving to turn a closet into a linen closet....It's enough to earn us a place in the Consumption 'R Us Hall of Fame.

However, in spite of my protestations, I have accomplished quite a bit since the last week in June. Closed the sale on our old house, settled on the new, flew to Providence to meet my daughter's movers and sign off on the move-in, unpack, then fly back to meet OUR packers and movers and vacate the old house and move to the new. Once here, we've unpacked, had the HVAC system and plumbing vetted, phone, internet and cable installed, as well as the security system, WiFi network established, neighbors met, and a rough idea of where things need to be moved to and what must yet be done.

I guess I am just not satisfied until I have created a semblance of order out of the chaos we've created. Wish me luck.

No comments: