Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Success?

All the effort paid off. We sold our house in less than a week, making all the sturm und drang worthwhile. One would like to say that we can now breathe again, but that would be premature. The swift passage of our house from 'on the market' to 'sold' now necessitates an equally swift purchase of a suitable abode, so that we will have somewhere to live when our purchasers take possession. Which simply means that our frenetic activity has just entered a different arena.

Now, instead of creating an alternative reality for potential purchasers, we must see through what others have created for us. Wait a minute, sir! Where is the trashcan in this kitchen? And what is that chair doing, hiding in this closet? Do you mean to say that there isn't ROOM for it out here in the open? You can't fool me; I can see that that bed in the master bedroom is a double bed and not a queen-size. I know it makes the room look bigger, but I also know that I own a queen-size bed and that it has to fit here. I see that the brick patio is weed-free. Does that mean it's set in concrete, or (more likely) that someone has spent hours weeding and followed that up with a walloping dose of Round-Up? Here I am, creator of dream worlds, dragging agents, kicking and screaming, back to the ultra-real world of the potential purchaser. How far is it to the grocery store? And I don't mean from the edge of the development...I mean from MY front door. (Two blocks from the former; more like 5 from the latter.) I can't help noticing that the uber-efficient zone heating/cooling system looks a bit long in the tooth. How old is this unit?

And so it goes...the creation and destruction of real estate-selling myths. Our minds have to entertain and distinguish between several realities, and choose which to believe. I believe I will take a nap.

No comments: