Tuesday, December 29, 2009

New Year


Already, it is upon us. Forget the fact that the clutter I vowed to eliminate last year is still here (along with the 25 pounds--and a few of their friends--that haven't made it out the door yet either.) The novel-in-the-making is still half-made, and I don't think I've cleaned out the storage space either. Nor are the many journals--in fact, ANY journals--filled with daily writings. I am still the crabby, selfish, paper-hoarding, procrastinating, non-exercising slug that I was last year at this time, more's the pity, and now, here comes another New Year to rub it in my face.

On the other hand...This year I have become , truly become, a Nana--recognized as such by an adorable, preternaturally intelligent and beautiful child named Audrey. I have been part of an unusually talented, interesting, well-read and culturally-aware group of women (who somehow have not realized my lack of qualification) who meet for lunch each month. My writing group is still intact and provides a wonderful outlet for trying out ideas and writings. As my poet-laureate term draws to an end, I have finally convinced myself that I am a poet. Maybe not the Billy Collins of my time, but someone who has something to say that other people respond to. I even (by virtue of my unfortunate medical issue this fall) was allowed to see that I have more friends and well-wishers than I ever believed possible, who came out in force to help and support me and my family when we needed it most. I have seen the concern of my husband and family, and know, beyond doubt, that I have more than my share of love.

"Our reach should always exceed our grasp, or what's a heaven for?" --or words to that effect. I've always been good at making lists, but have never been much on following through. So. Clutter and weight and unfinished writing and unfinished cleaning be damned. It's been a pretty good year, by all the standards that count. This week, I'll add a few more goals to that New Year's list, with no guarantees that they will be achieved. Just letting everyone know that I'm a work in progress...

No comments: