Saturday, October 11, 2008

Cloud

Is it the economy, or the presidential mudfest, or the time of year, or what? I'm finding it difficult to read the paper, or follow through on projects, or even write much. The weather has been gorgeous, but there still seems to be an oppressive black cloud hovering overhead, making it hard to breathe. I think it's called the future.

I went through the paper yesterday and there's not much joy in Mudville. Negative headlines far outnumber (if not obliterate) positive ones. I'm no Pollyanna, but when the only happy-face headline involves the results of Lehman Brothers contributing to a Habitat for Humanity housing effort in India--and the worry that funds for charity projects like these will dry up--I think we're in worse trouble than just the economy. Is there nothing good happening anywhere?

I'm tired of the McCain/Obama campaigns. Both sides are just repeating the same old songs, with additional random accusations flung at the other guys. Why not say something new? Why not address the reality of the situation and at least try to offer, if not hope, at least some sympathy? I don't believe much of what I hear from either camp any more. Just let us vote and get these people and their petty accusations off my TV screen.

I can't help worrying that, with all the mud that's been thrown, the emotional tenor of the campaigns, and the rampant fear engendered by the economic crisis, whoever wins will be the long-term loser. When campaign appearances start to sound like KKK rallies, and even candidates can't rein in their own supporters, when people who want us to elect them show no signs of being thoughtful citizens, much less LEADERS, even economic worries take a backseat to fears of anarchy. How far have we regressed as humans? The only way to get through hard times is together, with the support of our friends and neighbors--and it appears we are even losing that in today's divisive atmosphere.

When our financial gurus start bruiting about sums of money that we can barely comprehend, when presidential "assurances" cause the market to drop even further, when it's becoming increasingly clear that there's no one left in charge who we can trust or rely upon, what do we do? Covering our eyes, holding our ears, and singing at the tops of our voices hasn't seemed to help (and I suspect that's what we've all been doing for the past few years.) I'm not sure that there's any remedy except to put our heads down against the wind, gather our courage, hold on tightly to whatever we have left, and try to bull our way through the storm.

It would sure help if we didn't have to do it alone.

1 comment:

Pate' said...

For the life of me I cannot comprehend why any one of these clods would want the job at this point in time. Did they all get the short straw?

It is becoming so that one side is just as skewed as the other. Takes all the fun out of it.

I just want it over.