Thursday, September 11, 2008

Farm to Fork

If last night's Farm to Fork dinner at Del Ray's Evening Star was any indicator of the value of freshness, maybe I need to start growing food crops in my tiny garden. Somehow I doubt if my efforts--in the garden or my kitchen--could produce the results that we enjoyed last night from the kitchen of Chef Will Artley. An ambrosial gazpacho was succeeded by a series of plates (shrimp fritter, scallops, salads, wonderfully crunchy little chips of garlic, beef tenderloin, ratatouille napoleon) that kept topping each other in flavor, innovation and just plain deliciousness. The previous list was from memory--and I'm a person who sometimes has trouble remembering what I ate for lunch!

I also have to say I am pretty much a dessert purist, and the listed dessert that incorporated tomatoes as well as a basil ice cream had me casting a fairly skeptical eye at the menu. However...like everything else on the table, it vastly exceeded expectations and I would have cheerfully pocketed two or three to take home. The wines were ignored in the discussions, but certainly did not deserve to be. When did they say the next dinner in this series will be?

No comments: