Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Complexity


In the past 72 hours, I have popped like a kernel of Orville Redenbacher's finest all over the frying pan of my life. From the Democratic convention--Mark Warner and Hillary!! And the governor of Montana (what a guy!)-- to a marathon trip to Pennsylvania, joining my 88-year old mother in her monthly lunch reunion with her high school graduating class, fully 2/3 of whom are cousins. From lunch with my writing group to dinner at Acadiana, to the grocery store, to poet laureate stuff, to church committee, to a friend's birthday party plans, to where-can-I-get steamed-crabs in Baltimore (a question from a Californian friend)....pop, pop, pop. Nothing is related, nothing leads into the next event, and my entire life seems to be a monster non sequitur, a tale told by an idiot, signifying nothing. At least on the bad days.

And then I think of Georges Seurat and all his little dots. Maybe there's a picture in here somewhere and I just have to step back a little to see what's going on.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I love thinking that I am a part of a Seurat painting. This is the best metaphor EVER.

Unknown said...

It's a picture of your life, Mary...from velvet paintings to the Alexandria City Hall.