Saturday, September 5, 2026

Perceptions

 

There were folks who came for lunch,

and I worried over a menu,

over proffered drinks, over the house,

the table settings, even the state of 

the front door, and what to wear.

I found myself uniformly wanting;

coming up short in every way.

The hard-boiled eggs

(destined for deviling)

refused to part company with their shells..

my incomparable rolls found a comparison

(inexplicably) with hockey pucks.

Dessert tasted fine, but failed miserably

in appearance.

And then, they asked to see the garden.

To tell the truth, I don't really garden.

I have putter there, and prune a little,

I love my azaleas and camellias 

and my fountain of succulents.

I have bougainvillea and wisteria,

an orange tree, and a patch of green, green grass

that used to drive my granddaughters

to joyous somersaults and cartwheels.

I had almost forgotten the garden. 

I'd almost forgotten the pleasure of lunch 

with friends; the rediscovery

of what brings us together.

Not food (or the perfection thereof)

Not clean front doors, or lovely tables,

not even a garden that I love--

but we are bound by friendship 

that is blind to all our faults, 

and sees through caring eyes.



No comments: